I know, you’re expecting a healthy recipe here, but just bear with me. These are non-paleo, special occasion, treat yourself kind of cupcakes. However, we are going to make them from scratch with quality ingredients so as far as “unhealthy” desserts go, this isn’t a bad option. Try to get organic ingredients wherever possible and use grass-fed butter and milk.
These cupcakes are light, fluffy and moist with a delicious blueberry lemon flavor. The cream cheese icing is rich and buttery which is perfect for satisfying that sweet tooth. I like to top them with blueberries and strawberries, or maybe make extra blueberry or strawberry sauce to drizzle on top.
The blueberry sauce added to the batter makes the cupcakes a beautiful blue color, which is perfect for special occasions. The blue can be part of a red, white and blue theme for Fourth of July or for a beach themed party.
Blueberry Lemon Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
Makes 12 large cupcakes
- 8 oz. organic blueberries
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 ½ cups organic all-purpose flour
- ½ tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tbsp. lemon zest
- 1/3 cup grass-fed whole milk
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 oz. grass-fed butter, room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. organic vanilla
- 8 oz. organic cream cheese, room temp
- 3 tbsp. grass-fed butter, room temp
- 6 tbsp. powdered sugar
- Put blueberries in a small pot on the stove. Add water and sugar and simmer over medium low heat until mostly cooked down and syrupy. Strain into a bowl, pressing remaining blueberries to squeeze out all juice and set aside to cool. This will yield about 6 tablespoons of sauce.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and put cupcake cups in 12 count cupcake pan.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest in a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine milk and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In large mixer, whisk butter until broken down, about 2 minutes. Add sugar and continue mixing until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Switch to paddle attachment for mixer and alternate adding flour mix and milk mix, allowing time to combine before adding more.
- Add blueberry sauce to batter and mix on low (will splatter if mixed on high) until combined and batter is blue.
- Pour into baking cups and bake at 325 for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- To make Icing: Combine all ingredients in a mixer and whip until fluffy. Ice once cupcakes are cool and top with strawberries and blueberries.