It’s easy to just buy a jar of marinara sauce at the store, but what if you could make it fresh at home just as easily? Now you can. This sauce is so good and can replace any jarred marinara sauce, and it is ridiculously easy to make. Just let this simmer on low for a few hours, and you kitchen will smell wonderful! Try it in this awesome Homemade Lasagna!
Easy Homemade Marinara Sauce
Makes about 7 cups of sauce
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 28 oz fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsps pepper
- 2 tsps sugar
- 3 tbsps oregano
- Handful of basil leaves
- Pour olive oil into a large cooking pot. Add onions and simmer until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Pour in crushed and whole tomatoes, squeezing the whole tomatoes as you add them.
- Stir in red wine, salt, pepper, sugar and oregano until well mixed. Lay basil leaves on top of sauce. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally.
- This can cook on low heat for hours or for less time on higher heat.
- Serve with pasta, or use in any dish that calls for marinara sauce. Add meat or additional veggies as desired!
What are some of your favorite recipes to use marinara sauce for?